Saturday, November 10, 2012

No Stopping on Go Signal

On page 134 of my copy of the book The 1987 Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines: A Commentary, 2009 Edition, by Fr. Bernas, I encircled the words "it abolished" and wrote down "what" on the side of the page.


In my previous "incarnation" as a law student the pace was just too hectic. I did not have the time to ponder the intricacies of the points made by the authors of whatever textbook we were using. It was case, case, and case. Ten cases per evening is par for the course. It seemed professors were outdoing each other in the number of cases assigned.  (One of these days I'll devote one post about my previous life.)

In my present alternate universe time has slowed down. I have time to "smell the roses" in the books I am studying. Paras and Reyes do not seem impregnable anymore. And a rereading of Fr. Bernas's constitutional tome has become enlightening and interesting as never before.

So what was in fact abolished as I noted above? Going back to the case of Estrada vs. Sandiganbayan, G.R. No. 148560 cited by Fr. Bernas, I now can see that the good father mis-inserted a full stop after "abolished".

Fr. Bernas stopped on  a go signal; I stopped to smell the roses in his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment