Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beyond cavil of doubt


In my post last week (see here) I mentioned how I liked the use by Justice Callejo of the word irrefragably  in declaring that the crime at hand was murder, not kidnapping, but only for him to trip over the wrong Article.

We know that irrefragable means indisputable or beyond doubt. Two paragraphs after using that word, Justice Callejo used a phrase that made me do a double take.

There is  "beyond reasonable doubt",  or just "beyond cavil". But "beyond cavil of doubt" seems stilted. To cavil is to quibble which would mean you are not sure; you are in doubt.

Checking the Lawphil website  shows several decisions using the phrase. The earliest seems to be by Justice Barredo in Orellano vs. Alvestir, G.R. No. L-22412 April 29, 1977

Is this phrase just another Filipino legalese like the term "price certain" which I discussed in an earlier post (see here)?

I googled the US Supreme decisions in the Chan Robles website for any usage of the phrase:

Beyond cavil and doubt are not used in one phrase together in US jurisprudence. 

Further googling, however, turns out that the phrase is also an Indian legalese:
This is quite perplexing because I thought our SC is more oriented towards US jurisprudence.


No comments:

Post a Comment