Sunday, January 8, 2017

Yodaesque in the Rules of Court

I was going through the book Remedial Law Compendium, Vol. I, Tenth Edition by Florenz D. Regalado when I reached Section 12 of Rule 69.


My proofreading meter immediately went up. I thought it was a typo and the underlined words should instead read: Nothing contained in this Rule . . . But it was the correct wording, I found out, when I consulted the codal version.

I know that the phrase, and analogous phrases, "nothing herein contained" is often interchanged as "nothing contained herein". And it looks alright that way. But something seems off, at least to me, when the "herein" is replaced by other words.

However, when I googled I found this old document which says:

This seems to settle the question. Still I was left wondering where I met that way of phrasing. Then I remembered one of the sayings of a great Master:
“The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.” – Yoda

No comments:

Post a Comment